Wednesday, 4 February 2015

sky

Sometimes I need only lift my eyes above the grey slabs to see such delights
And then I ask myself why I didn't look before
And see all I see now

Only for a few quick seconds
I imagine a grey metal roof reaching all the way around the world
It blocks out the sky and the moon and the sun
It keeps us trapped beneath like battery hens
I shudder at the thought

And then I kick and struggle
I gasp and yell
Because I need this breath
I need this day
No one can take this sky away

Why have I wasted such days
Counting the raindrops that slide down the pane
When I had all of the heavens to contemplate

The clouds make the best days
People don't like them because they're heavy with rain
But in them are colours that don't exist by human hands

With clouds rainbows come
And make to us their own promise
To never leave us without our sky
In a flooded world of only rain


- Joanna Grace

1 comment:

  1. That's a very wonderful poem, because it makes me think that the rainbow is Jesus! People sometimes lose faith and scorn God like how peasants scorn the aristocracy.
    Peasants in former times suffered and they think the nobility whom they serve never shares their sufferings.
    Some people lose faith by thinking how God only sits in the bliss of heaven while they suffer here on earth.But God is not like some arrogant noble who thrives only in pleasures---because He actually went down here in human form to suffer not only the pains of people but more than it.
    The sky in your poem is like the unreachable heaven where beings are happy,in contrast to the rainy earth where people are gloomy.But there is the rainbow and its colours. :) It's like Jesus and God's Grace :)



    __________________________________________________________________

    But may I ask about something I noticed in your poems.. Your poems could be happy in the end, or entirely happy, but always has a theme of loneliness..
    Since poets write more of what they feel than what they think, is it possible that you're often feeling lonely, dearest Jo??

    Sometimes it makes me wonder how in the Western world where there is plenty of opportunities to entertain oneself,many are still feeling lonely. Perhaps it's because despite the material abundance, they feel lacking in love??

    ..lacking in love, just like in this "Free Hugs" video from your very own dear county of sweet Devon. When I first watched this, I felt I could almost board a plane and land on Devon to give you some hug...

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UF1mlQpqtws

    ReplyDelete