Monday, 14 October 2013

what is left


Love is a temporary madness, it erupts like volcanoes and then subsides. And when it subsides, you have to make a decision. You have to work out whether your roots have so entwined together that it is inconceivable that you should ever part. Because this is what love is. Love is not breathlessness, it is not excitement, it is not the promulgation of promises of eternal passion, it is not the desire to mate every second minute of the day, it is not lying awake at night imagining that he is kissing every cranny of your body. No, don't blush, I am telling you some truths. That is just being "in love", which any fool can do. Love itself is what is left over when being in love has burned away, and this is both an art and a fortunate accident.



Louis de Bernieres (Corelli's Mandolin)



4 comments:

  1. It seems to me that the passage talks about passion instead of love. But then at the end, it is stated as "an art and a fortunate accident" which to me is not mere passion, but something more ideal...

    Dear, Jo, please tell me about your idea of not believing in being IN love, but rather GROWING about love.. I'm sure I've read something like that that you wrote...but I looked all over your blog and also on tweeter, and unfortunately I could not find it again :(
    Please tell me about growing of love instead of being in love. I'd love to ponder about such an idea! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I suppose it could be passion, but a lot of people call it love too. I think the post you're looking for is http://jo-burgess.blogspot.co.uk/search?q=love
      This one :)

      Delete
  2. Do you think it is proper to call something love even if it is not even up to what love really is? I think it is not right for people to call passion love... Yes, there are passions with real love, but there are also mere passion, no matter how fierce and enthusiastic, but without the real love...

    I looked on the link that you sent me, but I did not find in it the idea of love growing instead of being "in" love... Not even in the comments that you wrote..
    I hope if ever you'd have the time, you'd be so kind to tell me about your idea of growing on love, instead of being in love :)
    Is it an idea you've learned from Leo Buscaglia? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. love is like water. If you hold it tight, it shall run away from you..
    Love is to let free!

    ReplyDelete