Saturday, 21 September 2013

this moment is safe



I wanted to go on sitting there, not talking, not listening to the others, keeping the moment precious for all time, because we were peaceful all of us, we were content and drowsy even as the bee who droned above our heads. In a little while it would be different, there would come tomorrow, and the next day and another year. And we would be changed perhaps, never sitting quite like this again. Some of us would go away, or suffer, or die, the future stretched away in front of us, unknown, unseen, not perhaps what we wanted, not what we planned. This moment was safe though, this could not be touched. Here we sat together, Maxim and I, hand-in-hand, and the past and the future mattered not at all. This was secure, this funny little fragment of time he would never remember, never think about again…For them it was just after lunch, quarter-past-three on a haphazard afternoon, like any hour, like any day. They did not want to hold it close, imprisoned and secure, as I did. They were not afraid.


Daphne Du Maurier (Rebecca)


3 comments:

  1. Have you ever felt a moment like that with family and friends? Well, of course assuming that you're not worried and bothered by anything...but still you feel that a very ordinary moment with the people you love---you wish it will never end! Have you felt anything like that?

    I feel like that most of the times. Actually when I'm with people I love and when we do something very exciting, it is not a touching moment for me...because I think they may be enjoying the moment only because of the exciting activity.
    But I always look out for ordinary moments and how people you love feel about it :)
    There is a saying that goes something like: "In ordinary moments you could truly know how much affection a person bears you."
    Because even if the moment is so ordinary and nothing exciting to be done, if the person is still brimming with affection all because the person enjoys your company---that's real affection :) :)
    You really could tell how affectionate friends/family/ or 2 people to each other if they enjoy being in each other's company with nothing so exciting and only everything so ordinary :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Ramon, I have moments like these so often. So often. But no body else knows. I think that slow and stark reality, that you are the only one who feels it, adds to the beauty of the feeling though. Because it's so desperately sad, in a wonderful way though. I do worry, I think that's also part of it, why else would you be feeling it? I suppose sometimes it is just pure joy and you sit back and watch it all before you, but other times, you are distant from even those you love. I can't explain it. Sometimes I wish others knew though, so the silence wouldn't be broken by silly chatter that didn't have to be spoken. But I imagine that someone so inter-connected with your spirit would know anyway, and would feel it too.

      Delete
  2. I'm so happy that you feel that way so often too! :)

    But I wonder if ever there was a time when you felt like that and you also felt that someone present was also feeling the same as you do in that ordinary moment? :) Have you ever felt it while there is someone around who is so interconnected with your spirit? :)

    I have felt it lots of time, but nobody knew. They always asked me why I was behaving as if we would not be seeing each other for so long---while in fact we would not be going anywhere and would simply live everyday just as ordinary as before. :D

    You're right. Nobody knowing about it adds to the magic :)

    Oh, some people only really feels the worth and wonder of a person's company when the person is away or gone. Bless you for having such wonderful loving---for feeling the worth and wonder of the people you love even if none of them is away, even if everything is just as ordinary as everyday! :)

    ReplyDelete