Thursday, 10 January 2013

Upon Hills Never-Ending






I sit down with heavy knees, knocking against each other.
The hard wood of the pew prohibits my spine to curve.
I swallow and hang my head.
There is a faint touch on my hand,
I look up to see Elinor's sweet, full cheeks lift kindly,
Her lips part slightly as she pats my arm.

The vicar's mouth begins to move up and down,
I watch him, at first observing his cassock,
Wondering how long it had taken for these people to grow accustomed to his dress.
My eyes grow weary, and they blur him into a grey figure far away in front of the altar.

I have entered the fathoming state of consciousness that I know so well.
I do it when I am beyond this life.
When I am bored.
When I am tired.
When my body gives up.

There is a softening of the light,
There is a faint voice rising above me,
A voice that doesn't speak, but does something far more wonderful,
It sings.

My eyes are wide, I look around,
There she is, a small girl stood amid a collection of robed people.
All their mouths are open now,
They share one song, one voice, one body.

Across the little girl's face are the colours of the rainbow.
The colours move onto the boy beside her,
And then I suddenly feel a warming sensation upon my own face,
And realise the colours have found their way to me.

I look towards the stained glass window and there I see my childhood days,
There I ran upon hills never-ending,
There I whistled beside the limpid stream,
There I laughed in the sunshine with my rod slung over my shoulder,
My feet then knew no stillness, knew no trouble, knew no harder ground,
Than the padded moss of the trees.

Elinor's hand leaves mine, she is standing.
I look up at her uncertain,
She utters a soft prayer and then sits down.
I look back at the window, the sun was just leaving.
But I wasn't sad, I had changed in those quick seconds.

The church wasn't cold any more,
My feet weren't numb.
There was a flushed warmth rising from the quick pound of my heart.

The vicar seemed different,
I am sure he was washed in light,
Elinor turned to me,
Her eyes, like his, were radiant as well,
Just like the suns of my childhood.
Just like the singing of the choir,

I nodded, slowly acknowledging my senses,
Yes, I feel something deeper,
Something that is far above the pressed flat soil of this earth,
Something that sings higher than where the wind and the rain fall from,
Something that lifts my weary feet from the stones and lets me rest on the breezes.

It gives me hope, though I don't understand it in any way at all,
It tells me to hope for the life I once was a part of,
In the sweet and light days of my youth.
Where the sun hiding on rainy days was just as beautiful as summer's bold smiles.

I may return, perhaps once more,
Just to see and feel and hope,
maybe,
perhaps,
just once more.


-Joanna Grace








(With thanks to Ramon telling me his friend's story that was the inspiration to this poem)




  

7 comments:

  1. God bless you! Thank you for magnifying the story into an inspiring poem! :) This would definitely give hope for those people who have once turned away :) The last lines of the poem are the most inspiring! I am sure that if anyone who has turned away from faith and read your poem, reciting to himself the last lines thrice, he'd give it a try to go back to the faith :)

    "I may return, perhaps once more,
    Just to see and feel and hope,
    maybe,
    perhaps,
    just once more."

    What is your inspiration for the thought of "Hills never-ending?" :)

    This is my favorite blog of all! Thank you for this wonderful blog! Take care!
    God bless you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like it! I hope and pray those who have grown cold to God and who he is will come back to him too one day. I think it is always there within them, they just need to acknowledge him again as Lord and saviour.

      What is my inspiration of hill's never ending? You mean those words? I guess my own childhood was a place where I could run and run and dance upon the hills that never seemed to end and the person in the poem longs for them.

      :)

      Delete
  2. It seems that green hills specially touch your heart :) It reminds me of the hill in Narnia. The hill where Digory took the apple :) Have you read The Magician's Nephew? When I read the Narnia books, I always imagine Narnia as Britain..And today's Britain seems to be a dominion of Jadis, the Witch, because more and more green hills are being built with structures on (modern buildings are as cold as icy towers to me ) :( So the beauty of the Old Narnia (of Merry England) is starting to disappear...and the Witch is making people lose faith to Aslan (I always think of Aslan as representing Jesus in real life)..there are so many other faiths in England these days..and I think it's the intention of the Witch to put a chaos of faiths in Narnia (Britain) :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your thoughts Ramon. And do you know that C.S Lewis based his book of Narnia upon the Christian faith. Aslan does represent Jesus, laying down his life for all and then rising again 3 days later. It is about the battle of good and evil and in the end Aslan wins- Jesus and his followers will win the battle of life in the end!
      England truly was a little Narnia and there are still many places that have remained just as they were for hundreds of years, but as you know these places are becoming more and more rare.
      I haven't read that book, but I did read the first Narnia book, but that was a long time ago. I love C.S Lewis, he is one of my favourite writers!

      Delete
  3. I myself have not read the Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, because the book is hard to come by here, but I'll find one soon, because I wanna read that part you told me about---how Aslan died and went back 3 days later! :) It is just so touching reading in Narnia the representations of Christian events! :)
    If ever you'd read The Magician's Nephew, you'd be so touched like me, because the later part of the book was like the Genesis, how God created the world :) Aslan created Narnia in a very touching way :)

    C.S. Lewis is also one of my favorite authors! You may know that he was once a pagan, practicing an old Celtic faith. But I've read that J.R.R. Tolkien helped in getting Lewis back to Christianity. I have not read how, but I would search more about it, because such stories are always so touching---when a person goes back to Jesus! :) Which other works of C.S. Lewis you loved reading? :)



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you I will remember about the Magician's Nephew and keep it in mind.
      C.S Lewis is awesome, I really love 'The screwtape letters' if there is any book you want to read-it should be that one! And Mere Christianity is good too.

      Delete
  4. Thank you! I would try to see if I could find the Screwtape Letters and Mere Christianity :) I'm so excited to read about them, books with Christian themes :)
    Are they novels? Do they have magical characters like in Narnia, or are they all humans? :)

    You should also read the other Narnia books that I've read so far :)
    In Prince Caspian, there is the Christian theme of unconditional faith in God :) The 4 children had been away from Narnia and they ever wondered if it all happened. When they were in Narnia again, they were a little doubtful..But Lucy had unconditional faith (she always seems to be the one with the strongest faith to Aslan---she reminds me of you!) so they were reunited with Aslan again, and Lucy was the first to see him :)

    The Horse and His Boy is awesome too! There is the theme of "footprints in the sand." :) The boy, Shasta, kept encountering an animal throughout his journey, and he thought that it was a bad animal, always trying to waylay him... But he realized what the man in "footprints in the sand" realized! :) The man would see his footprints and another pair of footprints (God's) But during his most difficult walk on the sand, he no longer saw the other footprints..and he asked God why did He left him during his most difficult time? But God answered: "You didn't see my footprints because during the most difficult time, I lifted you and made you walk through impossible difficulties." :)
    Sometimes people think God has left them, but in reality God is always there, He never leaves us, never! :)
    That's one of the themes of The Horse and his Boy.. :)

    But my favorite Narnia book so far (as far as Christian themes is concerned) is The Silver Chair :) The theme is unconditional faith in God :) The three companions were commanded by Aslan to do something.. But then they faced a problem that they should solve, and at that very moment, it appeared that it would be quite quite quite evil to do what Aslan told them to do..
    It's a nice book, and I hope you'd read it one day too :)

    But many people say that the best Narnia book when it comes to Christian themes is the last one: The Last Battle. I've heard we'd read in it themes about the glory of God's Kingdom, how it is so much more wonderful compared to anything we've ever known on earth :) We should read it one day! :)

    Thank you for your reply, Joanna! God bless you always! :)


    Ramon

    ReplyDelete